Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"I don't trust you. You're a vampire. Or is that an offensive term? Should I say 'undead American'?"

I read a lot of books. They tend to be of the romantic variety. A few years ago, there were barely any books about vampires. Now, it seems like every second book has some vampirical element. It's madness, I tell you, madness. There are a few series of books about vampires that I enjoy but for every series I enjoy, there are at least ten more I have no desire to read. It seems like each series also has its own vampire mythology. Mixing of series will end up in mind-bottling circumstances (I read a series where slayers were bad/ Vamps were good and then I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer soon after -- DID NOT COMPUTE*) I will admit that recently I bought "Twilight" to see what the hype was about. I haven't actually read more than a few pages in it yet, we'll see. I was going to just borrow it from the library, but I was 423rd on the waiting list and that just seemed absurd. I think I might just watch the movie and be done with it. I also tried getting into the Sookie Stackhouse series. I ended up renting the TV series instead ("True Blood") which has been quite enjoyable so far. I am on episode 7 now. I am hoping to actually get into the books soon, although it may be after I have watched all of season one (apparently season one encompasses most of the first book). So anyway, today's favourite thing is certain TV/ book series about vampires.

* I should also mention that I watched "Buffy" and "Angel" while I was watching "Bones" and it was really hard for me to separate David Boreanaz's characters of ANGEL and BOOTH in the two shows. Over the course of a couple episodes of "Bones", BOOTH a) refused to break down a door because it would hurt his shoulder (ANGEL always seemed to enter a room by breaking down a door) and b) got quite seriously shot - to the point where people believed it when he faked his own death (I was convinced that his vampirical healing powers would save him.....they may as well have --he was out and about in the next episode which was only set a couple weeks later)

1 comment:

  1. I would give the Twilight book a chance. I don't particularly like vampire stories but I really got into these. KK

    ReplyDelete