Saturday, April 11, 2009

Keeping Vigil..

Tonight, my sister and I went to the Easter Vigil at my church. It is probably my favourite type of mass even though it is really long. Part of it is candle lit; it varies from church to church how long the candles are lit. Tonight, we didn't keep the candles lit for long but most of the readings were done in complete darkness -well, until the reading about the resurrection (I think...) which is when the lights came back on and it was all joyful. There can be up to seven readings at an Easter Vigil but much of the time not all of them are actually read. One of the other things they do at the Easter Vigil is the Litany of the Saints which is pretty much self explanatory - they list the saints and ask them to pray for us. Tonight they did it to a really odd tune. I didn't recognize it at first. It was really weird. The Easter Vigil is also the time for people joining the church to be baptized, receive communion and be confirmed. So it ends up being quite the long mass. I was expecting it to be harder to get through, especially after working for eight hours today, but it actually wasn't bad.

1 comment:

  1. I have never been to a Catholic Church service. I would like to one of these days...

    ReplyDelete