Saturday, January 3, 2009

3 of a kind, 7 of a run

Today, my sister and I played Big Bertha. It's an enjoyable card game that uses 2 decks of cards. Basically, each person is dealt 11 cards and have a series of combinations of cards you have to get before you can move on to the next level. The combinations are as follows (K = of a kind, R = a run of the same suit):
  1. 3K, 3K
  2. 3K, 4R
  3. 4K, 4K
  4. 4R, 4R
  5. 4K, 4R
  6. 3K, 3K, 3K
  7. 3K, 7R
  8. 10R
. It's possible that stages 4 and 5 are in fact the other way around, but I play it the way that I stated. There are wild cards which are 2's and Jokers. The goal for each hand is to complete the combination and get rid of all the cards in your hand first. The lower your score is the better. The first person to complete 10R (or Big Bertha) wins. If more than one person achieves Big Bertha in the same turn, the one with the lower score wins. The scoring is as follows: values 3-9 count as face value, 10-K are scored as 10, Aces are 15, and wild cards are a whole lot (don't remember). If you don't achieve the combination before another player gets rid of all their cards, you count 100 and have to try for that combination again. These instructions seem rather vague but I don't feel like completely going into the rules right now. I think one of the reasons I like the game so much lately is that the last few games I played, I won. So woohoo!

1 comment: