Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Freeze Ray. Stops time. Tell your friends.

In July, the web series Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog was released. It was and continues to be awesome. It was made by Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly and the upcoming Dollhouse) and several members of his family as well as some of his friends. It stars Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible who wants to get into the Evil League of Evil and win the heart of Penny (Felicia Day) who he knows from the laundromat. His main obstacle for both of those goals is the oafish Captain Hammer played by Nathan Fillion. Today, the DVD arrived. I want to call it mine but it is actually my sister's so that wouldn't entirely be accurate. One of my favourite things about the DVD is that one of the commentaries is Commentary: The Musical. It was rather amusing. I think to accurately detail why I like Dr. Horrible, I will have to rely on another list:
  • Neil Patrick Harris (I have mentioned that I think he is awesome before, haven't I? If not, I am rectifying the omission now.)
  • Nathan Fillion is brilliant as the oafish Captain Hammer (Corporate Tool).
  • The songs are darned catchy (I will be surprised if I ever get the Bad Horse songs out of my head)
  • It has lines that I wish there were more cause to use in normal life such as "Look at my wrist, I gotta go," "What a crazy random happenstance," and "You give my regards to St. Peter. Or whoever has his job, but in Hell."
  • Spoiler alert: Bad Horse is actually a horse
  • The ending has a vastly different tone from the rest in that it's kinda depressing, but in a totally expected, Joss Whedon sort of way
  • Some the lines are not all that funny in writing, but the way the actors say them, they are hilarious. ("Captain Hammer threw a car at my head" (Actually that one is still amusing in writing) and "That's not a good sound")
  • Two more of my favourite quotes:
    1. "It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo. Because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just...need to rule it."
    2. " Alright. The wait is over. This, my friends, is my Freeze Ray, which, with the addition of the wonderflonium I obtained at my famously successful heist last week... I say successful in that I achieved my objective. It was less successful in that I inadvertently introduced my arch-nemesis to the girl of my dreams, and now he's taking her out on dates, and they're probably going to...French kiss or something...! She called him sweet? How is he sweet? [long pause] Right, Freeze Ray"
  • The fact that Captain Hammer possesses and dry cleans sweater vests
I believe you can still get Dr. Horrible on iTunes and you can get the DVD through Amazon. This blog definitely does not do justice to the show but it is definitely today's favourite thing. I was very excited when I saw that it had arrived. Sad statement about my life, but there you go.

1 comment: