Friday, January 9, 2009

It's freeeeeeeeeeeee!

Today I went to the doctor for the first time in forever. I needed a new prescription so off I went. I went to the clinic where once you're in their computer system, all you do is swipe your Ontario healthcare card to sign in. I actually had to register at the desk because I had never been to that chain of clinics before. What was also interesting was that the doctor wrote everything down on a computer and then hooked it up to the printer to print out the prescription from, etc. It was pretty cool. But the point of this post was that going to the doctor was free. So that was cool. I tried going to one of those clinics before Christmas, but my Ontario healthcare card was not in effect yet so I would have had to pay $68. It wasn't urgent so I just left it. When I was living in the states, the thought of going to the doctor made me nervous because of the whole insurance thing. I knew I was insured through the school but I hadn't received one of the insurance cards so I wasn't sure how it worked. Also, the school clinic was closed during the summer so I would have had to go somewhere else. I definitely like living somewhere that you are pretty much automatically covered for basic medical needs through the province or whatever. It makes life less worrisome. So today's favourite thing is free medical care.

No comments:

Post a Comment