Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Seven is never an appropriate number of pitas to eat"

Mmmmm...homemade pitas! So good! recently my sister came across this website called Choosy Beggars. Its a website that has a bunch of different recipes and the descriptions of the food are so vivid and funny that I am less opposed to the act of cooking than I might otherwise be. On Sunday, with inspiration from the website, my sister made something called Kibbeh which is a really tasty Lebanese meat dish. She also made the homemade pitas. They were really good, which meant that they didn't last all that long. So today I made more of them. They turned out more like flatbread both times, but I am sure that with the rate we are going through them, eventually we will have them turn out more like pitas. The pita recipe from the website is really quite easy and after having fresh pitas I am less likely to want the store bought pitas. But really, when aren't homemade fresh bread products better than store bought ones? On Sunday, my sister only made ate of the big version of the pita; today, I made the 16 smaller ones. I ate quite a few, because a) fresh pita! and b) how could I not?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you guys liked the pita and kibbeh!! And isn't it FUN to make pita at home? Seriously. If your pitas weren't puffing up into little pockets, either the oven was not hot enough or the dough was too dry - which isn't your fault at all, everybody's house has a different humidity, and the moisture level of your flour will vary too. You can try using a bit more water in the dough next time and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think part of the problem, now that I think about it, was that I didn't sprinkle the water on the pitas before I put them in the oven. It didn't occur to me until I was rereading the recipe today and realized I missed that step. Hopefully, next time I'll remember.

    ReplyDelete